Substance abuse is a broad term that refers to the misuse of alcohol and other drugs. People with a substance use disorder may struggle with a number of substances, including but not limited to alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and prescription medications. Regardless of which substance a person is abusing, substance use disorders can cause devastation across all areas of a person’s life and may result in social isolation, organ damage, and even a fatal overdose if they are left untreated.
At Mirror Lake, we understand the pain that substance use disorders can cause, and professionals at our rehab center extensive experience providing treatment to help people overcome these powerful addictions. Wanting to give you a chance to live life to the fullest, our caring and compassionate staff are eager to provide you with high-quality rehab that can enable you to live a life free from the influence of substances of abuse.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
Though each person’s struggle with substance abuse is different, one thing that almost never changes is how difficult it can be to watch a loved one struggle with a substance use disorder. Though you may feel stuck and unable to help your loved one, the truth is that you can take steps to encourage your loved one’s journey toward recovery. Consider the following:
- Each substance presents a different pattern of abuse, so take some time to learn about which substance or substances your loved one is abusing. Not only will the signs and symptoms of substance abuse disorder be different among different substances, but the process of helping someone with an alcohol use disorder will likely look different from the process of helping someone who has developed a heroin use disorder. Research your loved one’s substance or substances of abuse and talk with qualified mental health professionals about what you can do to help.
- Research rehab centers. Different rehab centers specialize in treating different disorders, so spend time learning about different rehab centers. One good way to gather information is to simply call the rehab center and speak to a member of the clinical team. Once you have done your research, compile a short list of centers that may be a good fit for your loved one.
- Start a conversation with your loved one about treatment. Let him or her know you are aware of his or her struggle with substance abuse and reaffirm your love and desire to help him or her. Work to be open and nonjudgmental, and truly listen to your loved one’s responses. These conversations will likely be difficult, but keep in mind that your loved one likely needs your help and you may be one of his or her best sources of support. At all costs, try to prevent the conversation from turning into an argument.
- Be patient with your loved one. His or her journey to sobriety and recovery may happen at a different pace than what you hope for.
- When your loved one is ready to enter treatment, present him or her with your list of treatment centers and discuss the pros and cons of each center. Offer to set up appointments with treatment center staff and make yourself available so your loved one does not have to attend these appointments alone. Remain an active source of support during your loved one’s time in rehab.
- Perhaps most importantly, take care of yourself. Seemingly small things like eating healthy, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep can help you make it through this difficult time. In addition, set aside time for hobbies and other activities that rejuvenate you. Finally, make sure to lean on the support of friends and family.
Why Those in Tennessee Should Consider Treatment at Mirror Lake Recovery Center
Substance use disorders have the potential to devastate all areas of a person’s life if they are left untreated. Continued substance abuse can lead to poor job performance, loss of job, financial difficulty, strain on relationships, separation, divorce, and loss of child custody, with social isolation being a very real possibility. In addition, a person may face legal involvement and jail time, organ damage, contracting an infection such as HIV from sharing used needles, cognitive impairment, injury, memory loss, and a host of other physical repercussions. Substance use disorders can even lead to death from overdose, accidental injury due to intoxication, or suicide. Despite these negative consequences, however, substances use disorders are treatable and can be overcome with the help of quality comprehensive treatment at a rehab center.
Types of Treatment Offered at Mirror Lake Recovery Center
Mirror Lake provides transformative rehab that has changed the lives of men and women who had been battling addiction. Located in Burns, Tennessee and situated on 75 peaceful acres of land, Mirror Lake is one of the oldest treatment centers in the state, and has become known as a provider of high quality addiction rehab.
The tranquil setting in which treatment occurs at Mirror Lake is highly conducive to the recovery process, and we utilize only the most effective methods of care to treat our clients. The foundation of our treatment is the 12-Step philosophy, and we strive to help each person who is entrusted into our care to achieve a truly sober life, free from the grips of a substance addiction. With the help of our staff of dedicated and credentialed professionals, which includes an addictionologist, a psychiatrist, therapists, case managers, nurses, and clinical technicians, men and women who choose to heal at Mirror Lake become empowered to live healthier and happier lives, free from the chains of addiction.
With a license to operate as a sub-acute hospital, our rehab center is equipped to care for individuals with complicated medical histories and offer. Our 146-bed center offers a three-phase treatment program that includes detox, residential, and partial hospitalization programming. Depending on the individual needs of our clients, the following are among the elements that may be included into a client’s customized treatment plan while participating in treatment at Mirror Lake:
Medically monitored detoxification: When clients come to Mirror Lake addicted to substances, they may require detox prior to engaging in our residential programming. When this is the case, men and women benefit from our medical staff’s expertise during the process of withdrawal by receiving the treatment they need as their bodies are cleared of the harmful substances that cause their addictions. Mirror Lake employs various protocols for delivering detox services, and the particular protocol used will be dependent upon the type of addiction that a client is battling.
Medication management services: While in detox, clients may receive daily medication management services. Monitored by our psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, and nurses, these services are also available on an as-needed basis to clients in our residential programming when medication is deemed necessary to manage the symptoms of an addiction and/or mental illness.
Individual therapy: Intended to be intensive and brief, individual therapy sessions are scheduled for each patient on a weekly basis. Our expertly trained counselors work with clients one-on-one and assist them in establishing short-term goals, solving problems, and processing their addictions to substances. Additionally, if a client was seeing a counselor prior to admission, that counselor can participate in these sessions with the client’s consent.
Family therapy: In order to help clients repair and restructure their relationships with their loved ones, our center facilitates family therapy sessions on a weekly basis. These sessions are led by our dedicated counselors and allow our clients, their family members, and other loved ones to heal together. By including these sessions as part of our care, we help our clients and those closest to them to move forward in a healthy and unified manner.
Family Program: Every Sunday, Mirror Lake is pleased to provide invaluable care and support to those in our clients’ primary support networks through our Family Program. This program, which allows family members and other loved ones to partake in therapeutic activities that emphasize family recovery, includes the following treatment methods:
- Lecture series
- Video tapes
- Experiential exercises and conjoint groups
- Shared meals
- 12-Step based meetings
- Non-denominational worship services
Group therapy: At Mirror Lake, we believe that there is much to be gained when men and women are able to support one another in a constructive and safe environment. Group therapy sessions provide forums in which clients are able to support and learn from one another, and are an important facet of the treatment we offer for an addiction to substances. The following are among the variety of groups that may be provided during an individual’s time in rehab at Mirror Lake:
- Relapse prevention
- Gender-specific groups
- Living in Balance
- Recovery principles
Experiential therapy: We believe that a holistic approach is the best method for treating individuals who are battling a substance addiction. Part of our holistic approach includes the use of experiential therapies in our programming. The following types of experiential therapy may be included in a client’s personalized rehab plan:
- Art therapy
ReNew Program: Our faith-based program, ReNew, is for those men and women who would like to have their faith incorporated into their treatment. This program is available to any Mirror Lake client, and allows participants to strengthen their faith through the following activities:
- Daily journaling
- Daily worship and prayer
- 12-Step meetings
- Meeting with chaplains
- Celebrate recovery meetings
- Bible study using Life Recovery Bible and workbook
During the admissions process, our staff will determine which of the above treatment methods will benefit you most, and will help you to meet your needs and goals. Throughout your time at our rehab center, treatment methods can be added if they will enhance your recovery process.
When you complete treatment at our rehab center, our dedicated staff will provide you with a detailed discharge plan that will outline the resources and additional treatment recommendations that will help you continue to be successful in your recovery from substance addiction. We want nothing more than to see our clients reach their rehab goals, and we make a concerted effort to ensure that you will continue your recovery success long after leaving Mirror Lake.
At Mirror Lake, a new life, free from the grips of addiction, is on the horizon. To learn more about how our rehab center can help you or someone you care about, call us today.